Saturday, April 7, 2007

If anyone asks...

... tell them I'm a writer.

I have long struggled with the question of what makes a person a writer.

writer
noun
1. writes (books or stories or articles or the like) professionally (for pay)
2. a person who is able to write and has written something
WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.


I had never considered myself a writer. I had certainly never called myself a writer. I always feared the horrible sequence that would surely follow if I ever had the nerve to make such a declaration. Someone would, no doubt, ask me what I have written. What they would really be asking me is what have I sold or published. I would then have to hang my head and walk away deflated.

This week something changed. Someone called me a writer. It made me think about how I define the word writer and how it applies to me. I realized that I will be writing for the rest of my life, because it is something that I love to do. My writing may one day be purchased and viewed or read by the masses or it might remain forever locked away in my computer. But, in the end it doesn't matter, because I was a writer.

This past week my life was changed because my perspective was changed. Thank you!



2 comments:

Julie O'Hora said...

My writing may one day be purchased and viewed or read by the masses or it might remain forever locked away in my computer. But, in the end it doesn't matter, because I was a writer.

And there you go.

It's a different life, once you allow yourself to accept that that's who you are.

I'm proud of you!

Hugs...

annabel said...

((((Julie))))