Thursday, April 19, 2007

Ideas Are All Around You

I am often asked, “Where do you get your ideas?” The short answer is: everywhere. It’s like asking, “Where do you find air to breathe?” Ideas are all around you. - Twyla Tharp


It is very interesting to learn where people get their ideas. It is true that many ideas seem to come from out of nowhere. Yet, there is nothing new under the sun, so the idea can surely be traced back to some spark the thinker previously encountered.


A couple of posts down I wrote that I had an idea the neatly wove together the loose ends in my script. I had been brainstorming and mulling the problem over for days. The main problem I was having was trying to logically connect two characters to one another. And then voilà! I knew the answer!

Today I was thinking about the happy moment and I realized something. The idea hadn't come out of thin air. I had watched a rerun of a television show I like... the storyline was somewhat different, but it had sparked the idea in my mind.

So much for my genius!

2 comments:

IQCrash said...

Ugh, Annabel. I'm sooo not writing well tonight. I feel like anything I type is garbage today. Meh. I'm bummed.

How are you doing? Will you be done on time for Nicholl?

Oh, and I tagged you - go read up on it and get to work ;)

annabel said...

I have had several of those days recently myself. I can empathize!

I take two steps forward and one step back. I haven't gotten very far, because I keep having to rewrite. But, at least the darn thing is getting better. I have 20 "good" pages. No, I will not be making the Nicholl this year. Should we extend our deadline to 2008 ;)