Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Girls vs. Boys

I like the idea of having a writing partner that is a girl like me. We see the world through female eyes. We understand the mysteries of womanhood. Let's face it, there are just things that guys will never understand.

But, my writing partner is not a girl. This makes for an interesting creative dynamic. We bring two different sets of views on life; the girl view and the boy view. I think this adds a lot to the writing.

This also can cause conflict. Here is an example from our discussion last night:

Him: She wouldn't say that.

Me: Yes, she would.

Him: She wouldn't say that. It's cheesy.

Me: Girls say things like that. She would definitely say that.

Him: You love cheese. I'm telling you, she wouldn't say that.

Me: Yes, she would. And she'd cry.

Him: She wouldn't cry.

Me: Yes, she would. A girl would totally cry at that moment.

Him: No. I don't want her to cry. What is wrong with you today?

Me: I have PMS. Do you really want to fight with a girl who has PMS?

Him: I have lost my will to live.

Me: Fine. She doesn't cry.

I lost that one. As Charles De Gaulle would say, "Annabel has lost a battle. But Annabel has not lost the war!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am currently writing a triple female threat film (grandma, her daughter and the granddaughter) so I am constantly getting women's opinions on how they'd act. I am afraid one of them is going to come out a little butch ha

ASA said...

Don't want to scare you off, but this is how my wife and I sound...

And she's not a writer...

annabel said...

You are funny, moviequill! Good luck with the project!

Matt, I have been married twice... I understand! :)