Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Fox's 'On the Lot'

I watched On the Lot last night. This article pretty much sums up my first impressions. I will probably tune in again next week, but with the hope that the show will get better as the number of contestants narrows.

The worst part of the show was watching the contestants try to pitch based on loglines they had been given. It was actually painful at times. Some of the people clearly had zero knowledge of how to pitch or even what it means. Others were victims of their nerves. I, too, go completely blank when I get very nervous. I cringed for them.

If that was not bad enough, they then had to form groups of three to write, direct, and edit a short film in just 24 hours. Having to work with strangers is very difficult. In college I had fits over group projects (perhaps I don't work well with others). It is unfair to judge someone on the work of others, particularly others that they did not select for any professional merit.

I would have enjoyed the show more if it had shown some of the short films that had been submitted. These challenges were at times interesting, but not what I had expected.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the pitches were pretty rough. I'm a stumble-bum when I speak, in general - so when I pitch an idea to my writing group, I turn into a stuttering mute.

The show's concept is interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing Grand Master Spielberg's contribution.

I'll catch it again next week. The jury's still out on this one.

Adam Renfro said...

Another North Carolina screenwriter! GO . . . US!!

IQCrash said...

I actually liked the show.

:)

Anonymous said...

thanks for the Jericho Nuts link, hilarious. I signed the petition btw, I think I was 66, 540 or something...

Like the concept of On The Lot, some of the pitches went on too long

annabel said...

You are welcome. I saw the story at cnn.com and I thought of you. :)