Thursday, June 7, 2007

The Dark Side

But even when I was just a struggling writer sleeping on the floor of my apartment, I found working screenwriters to be terrific and generous.

Aspiring screenwriters? A mixed lot, I’m sorry to say. Fear can lead to the dark side. - John August (Screenwriters' Dinner)

I read this comment on John August's blog with interest. I don't want to comment for fear of saying too much, but I will say that I can't disagree with his statement. I have had the fortune of meeting some wonderful aspiring screenwriters. I have also met a few creeps. Fear masquerading as arrogance is no replacement for true confidence or talent. It is nice to have the friendship and support of other people taking a similar journey. I guess the key is avoiding those that reek of desperation.



2 comments:

Tracy said...

I guess the question is, what's an aspiring screenwriter? There has got to be hundreds, if not millions, and with those numbers, you are bound to find a colorful assortment of people.

In general, I think creative people are a strange and unique group. I mean, we walk around with images in our heads calling out to us. We create people and worlds that don't exist to the human eye. "Crazy is as crazy does."

I feel people are defined by who they are, not by their line of work and/or talent.

For every corner of darkness, there is a ray of sunshine.

annabel said...

Those are good points, Tracy. I do agree.

I just think that the competitive nature of this field brings out both the best and worst in people. I have only been screenwriting for two years and I still have not become comfortable with the more aggressive side of the business.

But, I do want to stress that most of the people I have met have been wonderful.