Friday, March 30, 2007

She Fell Flat

Yesterday I was in the mood to read a great script. I chose Thelma and Louise because it is one of my favorites. I had been reading less than ten minutes when a giant light went off in my head. The woman in my script is flat. She goes through motions, but lacks character. It was like a knife in my heart. I knew more about Thelma and Louise in the first 5 pages than I knew about my character in the first 58.

I will go back and fix it, but first I have a lot of thinking to do. I know what my character does in the story. In order to correct the problem I need to go back to the why. Why does she do those things? What is her motivation? What is her passion? What is her greatest desire? fear?

I was very depressed about my discovery yesterday. I am still a bit bummed, but it is a lesson. I will correct it and my story will be better. Hopefully, I will be better.

4 comments:

Just Jake said...

Do you write "back stories" or biographies of your characters? Sometimes it helps when trying to eliminate "flatness."

annabel said...

I had a biography for this character. I think the problem came when I made major story adjustments without updating her. I think you are right. Going back and writing a back story for her in light of the new story elements would probably help a great deal.

IQCrash said...

Hey you ;)

I didn't want to link to that script publically since I trashed it, but in case you're interested, you can find it at:

What is Normal

Doesn't it make you want to die? lol

Anonymous said...

Thelma is a great one to revisit, one of my Top 10 fave reads. I am trying to get ahold of her latest, Mad Money. Filming now (Diane Keaton robs a bank)