Thursday, March 29, 2007

Agents and Managers and Producers! Oh, my!

I have been toiling away at my most recent attempt at screenwriting. Some days I feel that I am beginning to get "it". That is not to say that I feel I am any good at writing screenplays, just that I think that I am starting to understand how to do it. Other days I sense I haven't a clue. What keeps me writing is a strong belief that practice really does eventually make perfect. And though I have a long road ahead of me, I do feel like I am walking in the right direction. It gives me hope to see that the script I am working on now is far better than the one I worked on before it.

Yesterday I read an interesting post at Alligators In a Helicopter. I am sure Scott has read an unimaginable number of bad scripts (including mine). I find it interesting that so many bad scripts make it into the hands of readers, because I assume that they were given to the studios by agents.

There are only two places I would dare send a script at this point - contests and readers. I sent part of my screenplay to a reader for evaluation. I think it is a great learning tool. I don't feel bad that my script isn't terrific because he knew it wouldn't be when he offered to take it and I was, after all, paying him to tell me how much it sucks. I also hope to enter a few screenplay contests this year. I think contests by nature are fun and exciting. I am paying them, so I don't feel bad if my screenplay isn't fantastic. Contests aren't perfect, but I think they can be a sort of litmus test to tell you when you might be ready to venture into deeper waters.

Why is Hollywood knee deep in bad scripts? My uneducated guess would be desperation. People so badly want to make it that they throw everything they have at it - the good, the bad, and the ugly. Amateur screenwriters are an interesting assortment. It is a dream for some. It is a hobby for others. One day you feel a sense of comradery within the group. Other days you feel like one rat among a million trapped in a sinking boat and all you want is out.

2 comments:

ASA said...

Annabel -- You know the old saying "If it were easy, everyone would be doing it," right?

Most people watch movies, so a goodly portion of them believe that they're "experts" in the business of writing for film. They may believe that they can write something better than what they just viewed on the silver screen.

And they may be right...

The problem is, the ones who do actually venture out into the screenwriting world may not realize the amount of time that goes into learning the craft (and it's more of a craft than an "art").

Yes, there are some writers who have had success early on in their careers - but I believe that to be the exception not the norm.

I think that if you have an original and creative story telling sense, and you're willing to put in 10 years time of writing, writing, and writing some more - before even garnering any modicum of success - you could, some day, have a shot at success.

Oh -- And welcome to the club!

annabel said...

There is a lot to learn! Most days I think of it in terms of learning to juggle. At any given moment I have dropped more balls than I have kept in the air. My goal is to one day keep all the balls in the air at once and throw in a bowling pin or two - then I will have a script to share with the world!

And thank you for the welcome!