Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Networking

I am often reminded that this business requires networking. Yes, you must write brilliantly, but you also must know someone (who hopefully knows someone, who knows someone). This is a troublesome fact for me. I am not a networking kind of gal. I am not a people person. I am not outgoing and friendly.

Today, I missed a networking opportunity. I was at the beauty salon and a man walks in for his hair appointment. He begins talking to his stylist about the movie he is about to start working on. My ears perk up, because I am familiar with it. My brother-in-law is an extra on the film, which is about to start filming here.

If I were Mr. William Martell, I would have seized the moment and struck up a conversation with this man. He could have been someone of importance or he could have been a schlep. Either way, he is more connected than I am.

Ugh. This is a dirty business. There is nothing like stepping on the heads of others as you climb the towering ladder of success.

The person who gets the farthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare. The sure-thing boat never gets far from shore. - Dale Carnegie

In my defence, I did have a head full of foils. I looked like a space creature from a 1960s space flick. So, maybe it wasn't the best time for networking after all!

2 comments:

IQCrash said...

My problem is the exact opposite. I've been doing all the networking but can't seem to focus long enough to actually finish a project.

Maybe if we combined our genes we could create a breed of super screenwriters.

ASA said...

See - that's where we'd differ from one another. If I were a woman, and actually had a lot of hair on my head (neither of which I am or have), I would've definitely tried the networking angle with the foils in my hair -- THAT enough would get you noticed.

Especially because the person you'd be approaching would be an idiot not to recognize that you're comfortable enough with yourself that you'd approach them (with a metallic head)in the first place.