Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Best of Luck With All Your Future Endeavors

I bumped into IQCrash in the Artful Writer chat room this Spring. We didn't know one another well, but we had crossed paths a few times before. We compared our outstanding procrastination skills. We chatted about our concern with the upcoming Nicholl Fellowship deadline. I decided to make a bet with him. Now, let me say here that I don't usually bet with strange men I meet on the internet, but it just seemed like the thing to do at the time. In the end, I won. I rushed my script to completion and sent it out.

I had struggled for nearly two years starting scripts that I never finished. The victory for me was jumping the hurdle and writing FADE OUT. It needed some work, but I was out of time. I had missed the Nicholl deadline last year and was terribly disappointed with myself. I decided to send it this year, because I needed to create some sense of accomplishment for myself.

Yesterday I received my "Regrettably, AFTER ALICE was not one of the 254 entries selected as a Quarterfinalist..." letter. It came as no surprise. Even as I read it I smiled a little, because I have no regrets.

8 comments:

Christian H. said...

Too bad. Did they give you notes or just a "better luck next time?"

The ASA deadline is near and Expo also. I'm debating if I want to bother though as a good source told me it usually won't help you sell anything.
I guess it makes a good line in a query though.
If nothing else,

Keep writing as writing is the revealing of the soul.

Julie O'Hora said...

Good girl!

Now, get writing again and finish another and another and another.

(Fwiw, none of my scripts has ever placed in any contest.)

annabel said...

Christian - They don't send notes. They do, however, send a very conciliatory letter.

Julie - Thanks for the encouragement! I have been writing and writing (and hopefully improving). I am close to finishing a first draft of my third feature.

Jim Vines said...

Hi, Annabel...

You've left a few message on MY blog, so I thought I'd leave one on yours. I see "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" is one of your favorite films. Yup, that's one of my all-time favs, too. In fact, it’s in my top five. I see you also like "Something's Gotta Give." That's one of my new all-time favs. Love that one. In fact, I just read the script again last week. Ain't Nancy Meyers a heck of a talent? She’s become one of my favorite filmmakers in recent years.

Take it easy...

Jim
www.TheWorkingScreenwriter.com

IQCrash said...

You'll forget all about the Nicholl when we sell our current spec, doll.

Guaranteed. ;)

annabel said...

Jim - Thanks for stopping by!

Crash - I love your enthusiasm!

Anonymous said...

what did you win, does he have to get naked now for the entire first draft ha!

annabel said...

LOL! The prize has yet to be determined. For now, I am settling with bragging rights. Woohoo... I know ;)