Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Off the Shelf

I mentioned taking some time to read. I did read some great fiction, but I also read "Digital Moviemaking" by Scott Billups. The book is full of technical information which took me a while to get through. Billups comes across as a bit of a prick, but the book is very helpful. I am using the information as part of the decision making process for buying a camera. I have read enough pros and cons about every make and model to make my head spin. I am trying to sort through it right now.

Next on my list is a book by Steven D. Katz called "Shot By Shot".

3 comments:

Christian H. said...

Hi,
I was just surfing by and noticed your post. A really good resource is this site.

They have one of the first Red cameras - the new standard in 2k/4k digital.

This
is another good site for learning about the different cameras and filming techniques.

They have interviews and demos, etc. It is definitely a good idea to understand, if not buy, a good digital camera.

The best ones I've seen are ones with 35mm optics and 3 CCDs. The key though is the lens, not the camera. That site reviews lenses also.

Queen Kellee said...

Another book, sort of a companion to "Shot by Shot" is "Cinematic Motion" by Katz. "Shot by Shot" is more theory filled, "Cinematic Motion" is more practical, nuts-n-bolts showing how one might cover different types of scenes, and has a great interview with a different person between each chapter. Actually, it might be good to read Shot by Shot, then Cinematic Motion, then Shot by Shot again. :)

And as for cameras...sorry to thumbs down the last comment, but "bah humbug red camera" -- for most of those who are drooling over it, it's far too much camera, more than they will ever need. I don't recall if you mentioned previously what you are shooting with the camera. if you need some geeky advice (both me and my DP boyfriend are pretty up on the trends and tech), let me know. :)

annabel said...

Christian - Thanks for the links. I will check them out.

Kellee - I hadn't heard of "Cinematic Motion". Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely add it to me reading list!

I'd love any advice you have to offer. I have no idea what I am doing - lol